Friday, December 13, 2013

What does it all mean?

Years ago, I saw a SONY presentation called "Did You Know?"

And the answer was, no...I didn't.  Details and statistics and mind-boggling comparisons and anecdotes about the world today and where it came from and where it's going technologically.  It's a lot to take in. It's random information - or at least, it seems to be.  I've often wondered what was the thought process behind the making of the video.  I remember specifically a statistic about how many jobs my generation will have in a lifetime compared to the number of jobs our parents will have had and then again compared to our grandparents, if I'm not mistaken.  It struck me at the time.  I think I was in one of my early jobs.  I wondered if 15 jobs or so in a lifetime was realistic.  I wondered if each babysitting job counted as 1, or if babysitting as a whole was just one of the tens of jobs I was expected to have.  I wondered if it would be by choice or by force that I would have that many jobs.  At this point, I have a few guesses.  I look for the video every so often, but I hadn't found the exact one.

Now, there are multiple upon multiple of these really fascinating videos, created by different people with no special sequence of license in particular.  I like them for being more update representations of the world and our technological culture.  I believe that the above video was the first one (uploaded by someone else to share at a later date).  ***Spoiler Alert*** The end is both frustrating and poetic.

I'd love to know what other people think about it since I still can't explain why it's images stuck with me all this time.  I've seen countless videos and clips and visual distraction and visual white noise but this, though facts faded or distorted or forgotten, still remains part of my memory.

No comments: