Saturday, December 7, 2013

Action versus Inaction

Sustainability has been a big deal to me since probably about 3rd grade when every child in  the U.S. sees some class documentary about saving the rainforest and gets National Geographic pictures and information on animals in the mail.  I took those pictures and walked around my neighborhood collecting change from people to "send to the rainforest."  I'm sure more than a few people probably shook their heads at me after they handed me some coins and closed the door.  There are a few important things here:

1)  I thought I could make a difference, so I tried (if you don't try, you never know, right?).

2)  Other people helped me.  They either agreed with me or they felt bad for me, they just wanted to do something nice, or they hate change in their pockets.  I don't know why they did it, but I know that I came home with about $100 in bills and straight up CHANGE. Which brings me to...

3)  Joint effort goes a long way.  Don't think $100 is a lot?  Well, it's not, except that it came from over 100 individuals.  So averaging less than $1/person...$100 was raised in a day to save the rainforest.

4)  Action is better than inaction.  I sent my money somewhere.  I don't remember where and I had no idea what ever happened to it.  I figured it may have been a scam, but I was never really sure, and it didn't seem to matter too much either way because I tried.  Guess what?  Even though I wasn't sure if anything happened...it did.  Which gets us to...

5)  Joint action is contagious and effective:  I found this out in my late twenties when studying in Monteverde, Costa Rica at the Monteverde Institute.  I learned that there is an entire 55,000 acre forest that was bought by the efforts of children around the globe to save the rainforest.  It is called The Children's Eternal Rainforest and it is an example of group effort and of the capability of anyone, no matter how young, to make a positive difference in the world.

With that said, I have always tried to choose "Action" over "Inaction."  I have chosen to speak instead of staying quiet (and yes, this can get you into trouble) and I have not regretted it in the end.

I'll leave you with an interesting (and fun) video on Action vs. Inaction with respect to taking steps to reverse "Climate Change."  Whether you are a believer or not, this is a great way to boil it down not to if the theory is true but instead into a question of Action vs. Inaction, and the consequences of each.


Then check out my follow up to the video which is:

I saw this years ago and it rang so true for me.  If we make things better for people to live, and there is no such thing as Global Warming...Who Cares?!  Did we not just make the world a better place to live in for ourselves?  Think about it!


No comments: