Friday, December 20, 2013

Look for the "I Love You"s

I know that no one wants to hear that you have to uncover the obvious...it's not as easy as the obvious, but it's the reality of it.  While reading this post on "I Love You" according to different people, it made me very introspective. 

How many times have I just wanted to say it but I thought I'd already said it so many times that someone's brain probably hurt or that I sounded like a broken record?  How many of the times that I thought that, had I never actually even said the words?  Sometimes I think we feel so much love for others that we THINK they know it.  I think they get it because every second I text them or talk to them or hug them it seems so logical that the love seems to be jumping out of my pores that I don't even realize that I didn't say a thing. 

So that article hit me because I feel it without speaking it, most of the time.

How about the times when he or she didn't call you back or didn't tell you they arrived safely and you were like "what the heck?!"  Then when you talked they didn't make a big deal about not talking to you but they told you they missed you...are you still focused on the fact that they just made you anxious and nervous and half-crazy?  Or did you take their way of saying "I love you" and digest it?  Was it enough? 

We see love for others when they don't even recognize it...like many things, it's always easier to see it from the outside looking in.  We feel that we're expressing all of our different love levels appropriately and efficiently, even though we aren't using our words.  And then...we wonder where is the love?  I'm guilty as charged. 

So, inspired by this article...I'm going to try to verbalize more.  I'm going to remember that when I think I'm a broken record it's just because I'm bursting with love and it seems out of control (TO ME) but that I may not have expressed it in such a way that another person is processing.  I'm going to try to not make you all look for the "I love you" too much. 

Because I do.  Actions speak louder than words, but we also need to start to read the actions the way that we read words.  So let's agree to start trying to actualize our feelings for the moments when we can't verbalize our "I Love Yous," and to verbalize them when we can and start to read actions when there are no words, and see where those take us.  Maybe we'll give, and find, some extra love.

No comments: