Wednesday, December 25, 2013

'There's beauty in destruction'

I've always been intrigued by graffiti.  Perhaps it's the rebellious spirit of the artist, or maybe it's just my awe at their shading skills.  Sometimes it's the message, and sometimes it's the canvas, and sometimes I haven't the slightest clue why I love it so much.  I think the quote found in the images of this abandoned nursing home site is a perfect way to phrase it, at least in part; 'There's beauty in destruction.'  I happen to think there is maybe something missing here...there's beauty in purposeful destruction.  As you'll see in some of my images below, I don't consider all graffiti to be art...a scribbled name here or there that doesn't seem to add life to its location or that does not inspire or provoke thoughts or feelings doesn't have much place for me, and seems much more "destructive" than the beautiful graffiti that seems to have a greater purpose.  To be fair, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  So, to each his/her own!

Here are just a few of the images I captured (circa 2007, Spain).







No comments: