Monday, January 27, 2014

How to treat girls, so they become strong women

New article out on the Forbes site.  I agree with most of it, I think, and why not since they tend to include a good number of related studies.  One thing I wish they'd do is take some time to make their titles more positive...no one likes to be told "this is what you're doing wrong."  By titling the article "7 things you can change to help young girls become strong(er) women,"  I think they might find a more receptive audience.

Anyhow, I think it's a good article for parents, or people who want to be parents, or just people who interact with children (and I'm talking all genders here because teaching boys that they are equal with girls is just as important as teaching girls that they are as equally capable as boys - which the article fails to mention), nieces, nephews, grandchildren, friends' children, students, neighbors, etc, etc, etc.

So take a look, it's a pretty quick read, and you might learn something new.  I know I did (specifically, the idea of turning the "princess culture" on its head was a new one to me)!

No comments: