Monday, January 13, 2014

Be A Human: Awareness of Gender and Roles in US Culture

First, a quick one, the example given which is pretty generally noticeable in our culture, I think.

And another, which I think is less talked about specifically for some of the reasons discussed in this trailer such as the idea that men do not need to speak about their problems, only the good things that they encounter, do, accomplish, or feel.

I don't look at these videos as negative facts and figures, I look at them at science and observation about our culture AND an opportunity, that we can now address since we have become aware!  So...let's communicate to our young men and women that objectifying anyone as a "thing" cannot come before seeing and understanding them as a person.  Let's help our boys and men to realize that "being a man" isn't a violent thing nor is it a testosterone thing or a control thing or a dominance thing...it's a self-control thing, and a be-the-bigger-person-thing and a romantic, good-communicator thing.  Being a man is being a good friend in good and bad times to men and to women.  It is building others up when they feel low, or when they feel normal, to remind them they don't need to feel low and that they are valued!  It is constant support for others.  

In the end, I think this lesson is just as important for women.

In my life, I have lots of both male and female friends but if anyone were to ask me, I'd probably tell them I feel more comfortable IN GENERAL with men.  I think the reason is that women are also impaled with the notion of competition that men are, but the emphasis is on their objective attributes, namely how they look, dress, talk, and express themselves sexually instead of how they treat others, what they are saying, or what they are emoting.  So the expression of what "Being a Man" is, for me, also applies to women, because in all reality, these things are what being a good PERSON is about.  

Again, having the ability to connect with others independent of their gender, race, background, appearance, age, etc...makes us good humans.  So "Be a Man" should be removed from our vocabulary, unless our intention is to tell a male that he should step up to the ideals of a human by defending the honor or self of another person, speaking kindly to others, helping others, and getting help as needed, and in being good communicators.  "You throw like a girl" should no longer exist as an insult (because I throw better than lots of men that I know, so I'm fairly certain, that for them, this could be a compliment), and we should stop teaching people that they are less than others and instead build them up to have dreams and goals and values.  I'm curious to see where simple changes in the way that we speak can improve the way our entire society interacts, grows, and becomes more human.

Be a human.

No comments: