Monday, September 29, 2014

Practice what you preach...

In my speed-walking glory I nearly missed the opportunity to help someone today. I stopped myself from flying around a mother and her three children at the top of a 3 story flight of stairs when I realized she stopped abruptly with her carriage and looked around for help...or an elevator.  Muscles to the rescue!  I asked if she could use some help.  A few men and women paused on the stair, having walked past already, to make sure I could handle it and then they moved on.

Mom handed her backpack to the oldest child who happily took on the responsibility and she urged them to follow behind as we lifted and carried her youngest down about 50 steps to the lower level.  Victory was ours.  It felt great to take a minute and help out today.  My speed walk was even more enjoyable as I continued onward and I even found myself laughing and communicating with fellow commuters as we had a near collision in the tunnel.

It was a great reminder:  little things that might not be daunting to you could seem an impossible task to someone else...do what you can, when you can, wherever you can!

No comments: